Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Greetings from Dana

Late last night a few of the volunteers met to recap the day, prioritize our tasks and goals while here, and brainstorm ideas for ways to improve the village, fundraising ideas we can do back home, new ideas for Stand Up + Be Counted, our benefit event which will be held in May, and other suggestions for improvement.
During our brainstorm session, we decided the guys needed to go to Kigali today to complete some work since there is no electrity in the village right now..the onsite tech thought it was best if he went along, so I asked if I could fill-in and teach his classes.
So, this morning the guys went to Kigali and zoe and I taught 4 english classes...it was amazing. Last night I wanted to be the social and event director at the village and after today, I now want to be an english teacher as well...shhhh, don't tell my boss ;-)
Teaching these students was amazing!! Nothing like the students I went to school with. I was a little nervous before the first class, since I wasn't really given any direction, syllabus..nada. Back home, most students have little to no respect for substitute teachers, but not here..not at the Liquidnet Family High School..every student is eager to learn, they are so incredibly ambitious and they have such high hopes and dreams.
When asked where I was from, I told them Liquidnet in America..it was a bit challenging to explain the difference between the Liquidnet School and Liquidnet where I work, but they all understood that Anne, the founder of ASYV was married to Seth, the founder of Liquidnet. They all love Anne very much, and told me what a loving person she is, they told me she loves people and they love her. I told them we all love Anne :-)
They then asked if I was married..they all ask about marriage..they love to talk about babies, motherhood, marriage..so I think I let them down when I said I was single.
Once we answered a few questions, and they got to know us..we began the class. We split the students up into groups and asked them various questions like Name 3 objects you would find in a kitchen. As a team they came up with the answer and wrote it on the board. We covered new vocabulary, we learned to spell, and all the students thoroughly enjoyed themselves. None of the them wanted the class to end...

No comments:

Post a Comment