Friday, February 12, 2010

From Zoe: Sleep is over rated, but I do love it!

Today was incredible. I was able to get further with the kids than any
of the previous days. Before they had opened up through limited
conversations. Today I started seeing the world through their eyes.
They asked serious questions about the politics, economics, and global
relationships.

We took a beautiful morning hike through the farms in the valley by
Robona. We walked on narrow pathways between crops and hand-dug
irrigation systems. The people here work together tending the massive
farm and sharing the rewards. The rice fields held life in all stages,
from sprouts to tall stalks ready for harvest . We passed sweet potato,
maize (corn), cabbage, cassava, and sunflower (which they turn to oil).
We followed the feet in front of us, cautious of the drop into water on
either side, through the maze often turning back when we hit a dead end
of corn stalks, steep hill side, or irrigation.

This trip was our first look at the houses off the road. The people in
the farm ive in even smaller houses of sticks and clay with no windows,
rather than the more luxurious clay-brick homes of the road. But still
everyone was so happy. Their needs are few.

In the afternoon I worked with Sonia to resolve Capturing Moments, a
photography-therapy project. We were able to leave on a great note,
with a strong plan to resolve the camera shortage (3 cameras went
missing between New York and here!).

At the day's end, David stopped by our guest lodge to give me a
drawing. Beautiful pink flowers. I will treasure it forever.

This week I struggled with the idea of giving students my email
address. I love the idea of staying in contact, but question its
feasibility when we are worlds apart. I have enough trouble staying in
touch with the people in my reality. I fear for questions like "when
will you come back?," because there is no good way to answer. I am so
tied to my life at home, and also so engaged by this one. I am scared
for when we will become figments of each others imagination. But today,
in David, I felt hope that this short contact could be extended, and
that by doing so I could bring joy to someone else.

I found that we are not here helping them, they are here helping us.
The students this week have given me hope, they have shown me courage,
and they have reaffirmed the hearts infinite ability to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment