Wednesday, February 10, 2010

From Eddie: A fun filled day... with work inserted at times

So I finally went to bed at 4am this morning and had to get up at 7am for a 7:30 meeting with the ASYV accountant. 3 hours of sleep doesn't sound like alot, but it's enough for me while being here, knowing that we are doing this work for such a great cause.

I made it back to our housing quarters with enough time to lay down for bit (never went back to sleep) before the group was ready for the walk into the village of Rabona. I have to say having all of the children swarm us was an amazing experience in itself. There was well over 100 kids each wanting to touch the skin on our arms and hold our hands.

We were a huge hit with our digital cameras by taking their pictures and then showing them the pictures right away. I easily took about 50 pictures myself while in Rabona; I'm sure my colleagues did the same, if not more.

Once back at the ASYV, we went to lunch with the ASYV students, then we went back to the room for a 15 minute break.

The work began again, with us bringing the 40 laptops that be brought from NY and configured here as a team up to the office to be distributed.

We then split up as we had various assignments. Mine was to meet with the accountant again for an additional Quick books discussion.

After that, Dana played some basketball with the kids, and Dana, Rick and I worked out with the volleyball team. (I kid you not - these kids train like a professional team).

Once the power came back on, I had to go back to work once again, addressing wireless network issues in the office, and some additional QuickBooks administration.

What am I doing right now? Well, after a COLD shower (having warm water seems to be a distant memory of the first two days) I'm relaxing in our common area, blogging and checking email.

We are leaving for Kigali at 8:00pm to stay in the ASYV apartment there. The plan for tomorrow is to go on a gorilla trek, which we are all excited about... More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment