Friday, February 12, 2010

From Rick

First, last two posts were from events on Wednesday or something.  Can't remember as I have lost my mind hear in Rwanda.  No sleep. As I type this it is 1:30am on Saturday morning.  We leave this beautiful place later in the day and I will most likely only get three hours of sleep again but am trying to finish things up tonight to have some sort of peace of mind.

(Oh in the background I hear what I assume are the two baby calves that were born in the village while we have been here.)

Thursday was Gorilla day. It was fantastic.  I am out of shape.  I do not look as much like a gorilla as people might think.  (See pic below).  Cars, even the heaviest of heavy duty Land-rovers were not made for Rwanda's "dirt" (said clay, mud, bolder) roads.  This time the clutch died. Fortunately we were able to swap out cars about an hours way away from returning to the village.  All in all an wonderful day and an amazing experience.  (See Eddie's ditty about the experience, he captures it well.

Today I skipped the rice patty plantation hike, got Eddie to wash my clothes, and was able to help teach some physics, critical thinking and a business class.  The interactions with the kids, this time in the class was amazing. The students are eager to learn.  Fortunately for me the physic's class subject was about optics.  Right up my alley as I have a minor in the subject and for some bizarre reason have retained most of my knowledge about dealing with convex and concave mirrors, their focal points, virtual images, etc.  It was a blast being in front of the students.

After lunch it was back to work trying to troubleshoot wireless coverage in the village.  Had some successes and some setbacks but hopefully we'll get there just before we leave.   Just hoping we have electricity in the morning. 

Pics (Me/Gorilla, Brian, Chalk Board, me and two of the kids in a class I helped teach, me and another kid, village time, dance party)

Good Night All!!!

Speaking of later today, we will be working on the farm for a couple of hours...or at least that is the plan.  But knowing how things roll here, the plan changes quite rapidly.

Oops almost forgot, village time earlier was great.  We each got up in front of all the students and staff to describe our experiences, thank them all for their welcoming hospitality, and say good bye.  Then the dancing began, and Mr. Edward J Hayes was cuttin' a mean rug Rwandan style.  The party was a blast.

There are thousands of pictures to sift through and I'm sure select ones will be shared.  Until next time, enjoy some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment