Wednesday, February 10, 2010

From Rob: Kids are Cool

Its 4pm in Rwanda.

Its about 80F today. Scorcher. I dont think ive had a tan this dark since 1992.

We worked until about 3am last night. We got all the servers up and running and started training the staff. Staff are learning quick.

We got up around 9:30 and went to Rabona. The kids were just breaking for lunch I guess, so as soon as we got into the village we got swarmed with primary school kids. They were adorable. They were fascinated by the hair on my arms as well as my giant camera. Even though Rwanda is very poor, there is a very honest culture. I did not feel as if anyone was going to steal from me. They were more interested in my hairy arms and the smell of my sunblock.

After the trip to Rabona and the 5 mile hike, we had some lunch. It consisted of bananas and peas, along with carrots and string beans, rice, and freshly picked pinapple. 70% of the food is grown at the village. It was all very fresh.

Although this is a school, the kids are far more disciplined. Far more is expected of them. They must go to school 6 days a week, participate in extra curricular activities, and then on saturday they participate in the farming and harvesting. On top of all that, they do their own dishes, and wash their own clothes. Everything is done by hand here. It is quite amazing.

After we are done here we are going to head back to Kigali. We will be going on the gorilla safari tomorrow. As tired as I am, I am really looking forward to it.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Something wrong with Rob's post. The text isn't wrapping around properly. Some characters are chopped off.

    Hey, I know the feeling -- had to shovel two feet of snow over a long driveway by hand.

    ReplyDelete