Wednesday, June 6, 2012

From Chris: Day 1 - Morning hike


Four of us started the day with a nice hike around the perimeter of the village. Our guest house (Guest House 1) has a beautifully landscaped yard, where I found these colorful birds.


Our guest house is also right next to the perimeter fence and the entrance to the farm, and that's where we began our hike.


It seems that every plot of land in Rwanda is covered in banana trees, and the ASYV farm is no exception.


There are far fewer mosquitoes and other flying pests here than I expected, but there is no shortage of insects to pollinate the plants on the farm.



All around the village perimeter are typical Rwandan homes, made out of mud or brick with corrugated roofs, where families living on small plots of land support themselves with subsistence farming.


What surprised me most when I first arrived here is the incredible number and variety of birds. There are at least 220 species of birds in the village. I've only captured a few so far. The first shown below is a Pied Crow. I haven't identified the others, yet. I should be able to do so when I get a copy of the bird identification guide the village has produced.




And there are some very serious ants here.



At one point in our hike, we got a great view of the Liquidnet Family High School at the top of the hill.



No comments:

Post a Comment