Sunday, May 22, 2011

From Vannara: Departure

Our trip to Rwanda started at JFK airport where our check-in was relatively painless. All of our bags were overweight, including mine, but somehow I was the only one who didn't have to fork over the $150 fee for it. The overweight light was blinking when I put my suitcase on the scale and the Royal Dutch KLM attendant glazed her eyes over it as I got more nervous about the inevitable fee I'd have to pay – it's the same feeling one gets when going 66 in a 65mph zone with a cop tailing you. But fortunately, no fee!

 

One of the KLM workers was really interested in our reason for going to Rwanda.

 

"Isn't there a war going on" he asked.

"Not exactly", I said. "We're going to help out at the Agohozo Shalom Youth Village."

"What's it about?"

I started on the whole "once upon a time 5 years ago" story, and the guy was amazed.

 

"What are you, some Christian Organization?" he asked.

"No, we're a financial services company".

"Oh, I wouldn't have guessed" he responded.

"Exactly! It's different here!" I said with a grin.

 

He asked for my card, but I just referred him to our "Race4Rwanda" website. Maybe he'll see that I'm also doing the NYC Triathlon to raise money for the kids and decide to sponsor me J

No comments:

Post a Comment